[vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”710″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][vc_column_text]

Who is a temporary overseas visitor?

If you are not an Australian citizen and not a permanent resident of Australia, you are regarded as a temporary overseas visitor. Temporary overseas visitors can include:


Licensing arrangements for temporary overseas visitors

From 18 April 2008, all new NSW licence applicants identified as temporary overseas visitors will be subject to the following licensing rules:

As a temporary overseas visitor, you will only be eligible to apply for a NSW licence once you have been in Australia for a continuous period of at least six months immediately prior to licence application.

Note: You must declare your last date of arrival in Australia on the licence application form.
Licences will be marked with the one letter code ‘Q’ in the conditions area on the front of the licence, with the accompanying text ‘Evidence of permanent resident status not provided to the RTA’ appearing on the back of the licence, and
Licences (including Learner, P1, P2, and unrestricted) issued with a ‘Q’ will only be valid for 12 months.

These licensing rules do not apply to:


New Zealand citizens or New Zealand driver licence holders

If you are a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand driver licence holder, you will be exempt from all temporary overseas visitor licensing arrangements. You may be issued with a licence of normal validity period, there will be no Q condition and you will be exempt from the six-month waiting period. This exemption will apply to customers who present to the RTA a New Zealand passport or New Zealand driver licence.

Note: New Zealand driver licence holders are required to obtain a NSW driver licence within three months of residing in NSW (regardless if you are a temporary or permanent resident) or you must stop driving.

For more information on how to convert your overseas licence to a NSW licence, see International drivers International riders.


Unlicensed overseas visitors

If you are a temporary overseas visitor and you do not hold an overseas driver licence, you may apply for a NSW learner licence without being in Australia continuously for six months. Your learner licence will still display the ‘Q’ condition and will only be valid for 12 months. For more information on how to get a NSW learner licence see Getting a licence.


Renewing a Temporary Overseas Visitor licence

All Temporary Overseas Visitor licences (with a ‘Q’ on the front of the licence) are only valid for 12 months.

If you hold a provisional or unrestricted NSW licence with a ‘Q’ on it, a licence renewal letter will be sent to your current address approximately six weeks before your licence expiry date.

A licence renewed before its expiry may be renewed for a period of up to 12 months beyond the expiry of the licence being renewed.

If you hold a NSW learner licence with a ‘Q’ on it, you will not be required to sit and pass a Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) every time you renew your licence. Once you have passed an initial DKT to get your first learner licence you will not be required to pass another DKT until your fourth renewal.

If you hold a Temporary Overseas Visitor licence, you are not able to renew your licence by using a photo-kit application form – you must attend an RTA motor registry in person to renew your licence. You may, however, use a photo-kit application form to replace your licence.


Note: References to ‘driver’ or ‘driving’ also include ‘rider’ and ‘riding’[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]